Dep. & Family Members

Dependant Visa Applications

If you are a dependant of a person who has either British Nationality or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) status settled in the UK, you may be eligible to apply as his or her dependant. There are different dependant categories.

Spouse Visa

A UK Marriage Visa or a UK Spouse Visa allows non EEA nationals who are married to a British citizen, or person who has settlement status in the UK to enter or remain in the UK. In order to make a successful UK Spouse or UK Marriage visa application, you will need to meet with the following criteria:

  • You and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;
  • You and your partner are not related to each other in a way that means they could not marry in UK law;
  • you and your partner have met in person;
  • your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsisting;
  • you married or in a civil partnership, and your marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law;
  • You and your partner have the intention to live with each other on a permanent basis; and
  • You are able to meet with the minimum income threshold requirement of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement in the UK of non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationality, with a higher threshold for any children also sponsored; £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child;
  • You are able to house yourself, your partner and any dependents entirely without recourse to public funds; and
  • Your partner is able to satisfy the English language requirement.
  • You may be required to have a TB test before making your spouse visa application. You can find more information on this

The visa is issued for 2.5 years, then extension for another 2.5 years and after which time the applicant will need to apply for an extension. Once you have resided in the UK for a continuous period of five years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).