Tier 2 Work Permit Categories

The Tier 2 (General) is the route for skilled workers who have been offered a job by a UK-based organisation. The organisation must hold a  Tier 2 Sponsorship Licence.

To apply for a Tier 2 General working visa the applicant needs:

  • An offer of a suitably skilled job from a UK based Company that holds a Sponsorship Licence
  • The employer must issue a Certificate of Sponsorship
  • The salary must meet the UK Visas and Immigration threshold specific to the job role under the codes of practice
  • The applicant must meet the Maintenance requirement unless the employer is an A rated company
  • The applicant meets the English level requirement

The employer needs to have carried out a Resident Market Labour Test to ensure that a member of the UK resident workforce was not suitable for the job. However, it is not needed in all cases.