Other Visit Purposes

There are many different types of visit visa in the UK, depending upon the purpose of the visit. Here are few more categories:

Child visitor

A person under 18 who wishes to come to the UK for a visit must apply for entry clearance (a visa) as a Child Visitor. In addition to the requirements for adult visitors, suitable arrangements have to be made for the child’s travel to the UK and reception and care once in the UK.

Visits for private medical treatment

It is possible to apply for a visa to come to the UK for private medical treatment. If they have an infectious disease, they must show that there is no risk to public health in the UK. These visas are given for treatment of a fixed duration, for example an operation.

Marriage or Civil Partnership Visitor

Marriage visitors are people who are coming to the UK only for their wedding or civil partnership ceremony and do not intend to live in the UK afterwards.

Parent of a Child at School

This is for parents of children under 12 years of age who are attending a private day-school in the UK.


In all cases you will need to show:

  • You are a genuine visitor for the purpose of the visa
  • You are able to pay for the costs of accommodation
  • You are able to support yourself financially during your visit in the UK
  • You will return back to your home country within the visa expire date

The maximum period for a visit is 6 months except for a parent visiting a child which is 12 months. Also, in the case of a medical visit visa, it is possible to extend the visa for more than 6 months if there is serious medical need.